Full-size images take a lot of storage space and bandwidth. And while they are pretty, most of the time you don’t really need them. So if your website runs out of storage space or starts to lag, you need to optimize the images, by reducing their resolution, color depth and compression settings. EWWW Image Optimizer is the best plugin to do this in bulk. Here’s how to install and use it:
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard.
- On the left sidebar, click Plugins > Add New.
- Enter EWWW Image Optimizer in the search field to the upper left.
- Find this plugin and click Install Now.
- Click Activate.
Now EWWW Image Optimizer is installed and all new images are automatically optimized. In order to optimize the already uploaded images:
- Click Media > Bulk Optimize
- Click Scan for unoptimized images.
- Click Start optimizing.
- Wait until the process is over.