Virtual KVM server suits for hosting high-resource projects such as installing own proxy and VPN-servers, hosting sites that need special software settings.
Reasons to choose KVM:
- Increased requirements of server availability during peak hours
- Load changes sharply, can not be predicted.
- Your server has high traffic and high disk load.
OpenVZ is an OS-based technology, which is based on Linux core. OpenVZ allows to run multiply isolated OS copies, called Virtual Private Servers (VPS) or Virtual Environmants (VE).
There is only one linux core in the system with special patches, which are needed for VE functionality. In this respect OpenVZ VPS is alike with virtual hosting, where stability and performance also depends on hosting neighbors behavior. .
- Low cost.
- Much higher performance than on common hosting.
- It is possible to change tariff without rebooting VPS.
OpenVZ suits for hosting sites with medium and high attendance and other tasks where root-access is needed.
Reasons to choose OpenVZ:
- You do not have sharp load peaks.
- Client amount is relatively smooth, without attendance jumps.
Comparison of KVM vs OpenVZ visualization technologies
|Own file system||+||–|
|Dedicated RAM area with full access and debug ability||+||–|
|Full isolation from neighbors||+||+|
|VNC-connection on early boot stages||+||–|
|Kernel mode NFS server||+||–|
|Independent core modules||+||–|
|Full control of sockets and processes||+||–|
|Full support of guest OS (Windows)||+||–|
|Full support of guest OS (Linux)||+||+|
|PCI / PCIe cards emulation with full access to them||+||–|
|Official integration with Linux core||+||–|