Subdomain – domain of a third level or lower. For example, in chrome.google.com, chrome – is a subdomain. Unlike a regular domain, which is paid for and needs to be registered, a subdomain can be created easily in the control panel. Subdomains are used for services that are beyond the functionality of the main website. Also, sometimes multilanguage websites are using subdomains for different language versions.
How to create a subdomain in cPanel
- Log into cPanel.
- On the dashboard, in the Domains tab, click on Subdomains.
- Fill out the subdomain creation form.
- Subdomain. Enter the name of the subdomain.
- Domain. Select the domain for which you want to create a subdomain.
- Document Root. Enter the address where the subdomain directory will be located. If you leave it empty, the subdomain folder will be created in the root folder of the website.
- Click on Create.
This will create the subdomain. Afterwards, you can upload website’s files in its folder.
How to add a PTR-record for the domain
If you are not using a hosting, but instead a VPS or a dedicated server, you need to add a PTR-record for the domain. Otherwise it will not be accessible from the internet.
In order to change the DNS records, you need to ask the domain register.
Updating the PTR records can take up to 48 hours. Afterwards, your subdomain will be accessible from the internet.