If you are interested what is CSR and how to generate CSR, we advise you to read this article. To purchase an SSL certificate you need to generate a special CSR request (Certificate Signing Request). CSR code contains encrypted text with information about your company and domain name that you want to register the certificate.
Important: CSR code size must be 2048 bit.
To create a CSR request in most cases, you must specify the following data (these are indicated by Roman letters)
- Country. In this fiels you have to enter 2 symbols – the ISO code (eg., US for USA, GB for Great Britain etc.). You may find out the code of your country in ISO 3166-1 list (Alpha-2).
- Enter State/Province and Locality/City.
- Enter the name of Organization. In this field you need to specify the full legal name of company or private entrepreneur, if the certificate is issued to him.
- In the field Organizational Unit specify the department purchasing the certificate (eg., IT Department).
- In field Common Name enter the name of the domain which you are purchasing certificate for. Eg., «www.unihost.com».
Important. If you are going to buy GeoTrust certificate enter te full domain name. Eg., certificate for www.domain.com will not work with domain.com.
If you are going to buy Wildcard SSL certificate, enter “*” and “.” before the domain name, eg., *.unihost.com. It means that before the domain name can be any sequence of symbols not containing fullstop.
After you had generated the CSR request open the file with any text editor and copy text together with tags BEGIN and END. It is necessary to enter tis text while creating the SSL certificate.